donderdag 19 september 2013

Bumble Bee (Blues) (1929) / Sugar Man (Mama) Blues (1930) / Honey Bee Blues (1931) / New Sugar Mama (1940) / Sugaree (1951) / Sugar Bee (1960)


I was looking for the ORIGINS of both "Sugar Bee" and "Sugaree" and came across a surprise.

"Sugaree" was recorded in 1951 by a certain Mr Ed Harris with his nom de plume Lazy Slim Jim.



Could this be a possible precursor of "Sugaree" (Marty Robbins) and maybe even "Sugar Bee" (Eddie Shuler)  ????

If we compare Rusty York's version of "Sugaree" (1959) with Cleveland Crochet's "Sugar Bee" (1960), my conclusion is that Eddie Shuler must have had "Sugaree" in his mind while composing "Sugar Bee".






Lazy Slim Jim's "Sugaree" (1951) sounds a bit like a slow version of Eddie Shuler's "Sugaree".

Listen here to Lazy Slim Jim's "Sugaree":




Lazy Slim Jim's "Sugaree" is loosely related to Lightnin Hopkins's "Sugar Mama" (1948), which itself derives from Sonny Boy Williamson's "Sugar Mama Blues" (1937), probably via Tommy McClennan's "New Sugar Mama" (1940)

But even before Sonny Boy Williamson "Sugar Mama Blues" had been recorded some 3 years earlier by Tampa Red.

And the source goes back even further. Again 3 years before Tampa Red there was a version by St Louis Bessie called "Sugar Man Blues"

All the "Sugar Mama" versions I have mentioned above begin with "Sugar woman sugar woman, please come back to me" except St Louis Bessie's version, which of course begins with "Sugar man sugar man, please come back to me".

But that is still not the end (or rather the beginning) of the story. The story begins with a song I found, which is in the same vein as "Sugar (Wo)man Blues":
In 1929 Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie recorded "Bumble Bee (Blues)".
Although with rather different and risque lyrics the musical setting is almost the same and it also begins with: "Bumble bee bumble bee won't you please come back to me".

To underline this proposition: In 1952 John Lee Hooker has recorded both "Bumble Bee Blues" and "Sugar Mama Blues". Because of the risque lyrics he recorded the first one with his nom de plume "Johnny Williams".
"Sugar Mama Blues" (with the less risky lyrics) was released under his own name.


In the story below I have also added versions of "Sugar Mama Blues" which begin with a different initial line: "Sugar mama, sugar mama, where did you get yo' sugar from?".
The first one with that different starting line, could be Peetie Wheatstraw's 1938 version. And he was the pianist on St Louis Bessie's 1930 version of "Sugar Man Blues".
But country bluesman Yank Rachell already recorded a song called "Sugar Farm Blues" on February 6, 1934 (Melotone M12958, listed as "Poor Jim with Dan Jackson"). This version is in the same vein and must be the first one using the line "where did you get your sugar from".
This version was used in most cover-versions of the song from the 1960's on.
Big Joe Williams 1961 song "Sugar Babe" is also a variant of the "Sugar Mama where did you get your sugar from" branch.


Bumble Bee (Blues) / Sugar Man (Mama) Blues / Honey Bee Blues  is structured in the AAB blues pattern using 12 bars, a very common structure in blues music. Many Blues songs are structured using the AAB format.


Well here's the audiovisual history of  "Bumble Bee" / Sugar Mama" / "Sugar Bee" :

(o) Kansas Joe & Memphis Minnie (1929) (as "Bumble Bee")
Kansas Joe (guitar) & Memphis Minnie (vocal & guitar)
Recorded June 18, 1929 in New York City.
Released on Columbia 14542-D


Listen here:



LYRICS:
Bumble bee, bumble bee, please come back to me 2x
He got the best old stinger any bumble bee that I ever seen

He stung me this morning, I been looking for him all day long 2x
Lord, it got me to the place, hate to see my bumble bee leave home

Bumble bee, bumble bee, don't be gone so long 2x
You's my bumble bee and you're needed here at home

I can't stand to hear him buzz, buzz, buzz
Come in, bumble bee, want you to stop your fuss
You're my bumble bee and you know your stuff
Oh, sting me, bumble bee, until I get enough

Bumble bee, bumble bee, don't be gone so long 2x
You's my bumble bee and you're needed here at home

I don't mind you going, ain't going to stay so long
Don't mind you going, don't be gone so long
You's my bumble bee and you're needed here at home

I can't stand to hear him buzz, buzz, buzz
Come in, bumble bee, I want you to stop your fuss
You's my bumble bee and you know your stuff
Oh, sting me bumble bee, until I get enough



(c) Memphis Minnie (1930) (as "Bumble Bee")
Memphis Minnie (vocal & guitar) & Kansas Joe (guitar)
Recorded February 21, 1930 in Memphis, TN.
Released on Vocalion 1476 and Banner 32525


Listen here:



Lyrics: see Bumble Bee Blues (1930)



(c) Memphis Jug Band (1930) (as "Bumble Bee Blues")
Memphis Jug Band (Charlie Burse (g), Will Shade (h), Hambone Lewis (j))
& Memphis Minnie (guitar & vocals)
Recorded May, 26 1930 in Memphis TN.
Released on Victor V 38599


Listen here:





(c) St. Louis Bessie (1930) (as "Sugar Man Blues (part 1 and 2")
St Louis Bessie (& Charley Jordan (guitar) & Peetie Wheatstraw (piano)
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois, September 19, 1930 on Vocalion 1559


Listen here:




LYRICS:
Sugar man sugar man, please come back to me (2x)
You don't know how I love you and I cannot let you be

Love you sweet man, do anything you say (2x)
Sweet daddy sweet daddy don't treat me this-a way

You got that sweet kind of sugar, make a good woman lose her mind (2x)
If you take me back sweet daddy I'll treat you so nice and kind

I'm so wild about your sugar, don't know what to do (2x)
It's that granulated sugar ain't nobody got but you

My coffee must be sugared in the morning, my tea late at night (2x)
When I don't get my sugar, baby I don't feel just right

If you see my sugar, tell him I say Hurry home
See my sugar, tell him I say Hurry home
I had nothin' sweet since my sugar been gone

Part II:

Sugar man sugar man, you got the best sugar in town (2x)
Please don't let some other woman tear your sugar down

Every time you leave me, I hand my head and cry (2x)
If you don't want me buddy please tell me the reason why

Blues falling down on me, just like drops of rain (2x)
Sugar lovin' sugar to another woman and don't give me a grain

I'm gon' tell you somethin' baby, want you to keep it to yourself (2x)
If you don't give me all of your sugar you won't give it to no one else

Mmmmm... want my sugar right now (2x)
Lord I want my sugar, got to have my sugar now




(c) Bumble Bee Slim (1931) (as "Honey Bee Blues")
Bumble Bee Slim (=Amos Easton) (vocals and guitar)
Recorded October 1931 in Grafton, WI
Released on Paramount 13132


Listen here:





(c) Yank Rachell and Dan Smith (1934)  (as "Sugar Farm Blues")
Recorded on February 6, 1934
Released on Melotone M12958 (listed as "Poor Jim with Dan Jackson").
This version is probably the first one using the line "where did you get your sugar from"


Listen here:




(c) Tampa Red (1934) (as "Sugar Mama Blues No 1")
Tampa Red (vocals and guitar)
Recorded March 23, 1934, Chicago, IL.
Released as Vocalion 02720, Conqueror 8862.


Listen here:





(c) Sonny Boy Williamson (1937) (as "Sugar Mama Blues")
John Lee "Sonny Boy"Williamson (& Joe Williams & Robert Lee McCoy (guitar)
Recorded May 5, 1937, Leland Hotel, Aurora, Ill.
Released on the B-side of his classic "Good Morning School Girl" (Bluebird B 7059)


Listen here:


LYRICS:
Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama please come back to me
Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama please come back to me
Bring me my granulated sugar1, sugar mama, and try to ease my misery

You've got this new grade of sugar, sugar mama, an you done made me love it too
You've got this new grade of sugar, sugar mama, an you done made me love it too
You've got this granulated sugar, sugar mama, ain't nobody else got, but you

They been braggin' 'bout your sugar, sugar mama, been braggin' all over town
They been braggin' 'bout your sugar, sugar mama, braggin' all over town
Now, the bootleggers2 want you to sell 'em enough to make whiskey,
but you won't sell 'em about four or five pounds

I like my coffee sweet in the mornin', you know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night
I like my coffee sweet in the mornin', you know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night
Don't get my sugar three times a day, oh, Lord, then I don't feel right


More than 2 years later Sonny Boy also recorded a version of the "where did you get your sugar from" variation.

(c) Sonny Boy Williamson (1937) (as "Sugar Mama Blues No. 2")
John Lee "Sonny Boy"Williamson (vocal and harmonica)
Big Bill Broonzy (guitar) and walter Davis (piano)
Recorded July 21, 1939, Chicago
Released on Bluebird B 8237


Listen here:





(c) Peetie Wheatstraw (1938) (as "Sugar Mama")
Peetie Wheatstraw (=William Buch) (v,p), Lonnie Johnson (g), unknown (d)
Recorded October 18, 1938 in Chicago IL -
Matrix 91529-A
Released on Decca 7529


Listen here:






(c) Tommy McClennan (1940) (as "New Sugar Mama")
Tommy McClennan, voc, g
Recorded December 12, 1940, Chicago., Ill.;
Released on Bluebird B 8760


Listen here:


LYRICS:
Sugar mama, sugar mama
Won't you please come back to me?
Sugar mama, sugar mama
Won't you please come back to me?
Bring me that grad'ulated sugar
Sugar mama, it'll ease my misery

Now, I want coffee sweet in the mo'nin
You know I"m crazy 'bout that tea at night
Yeah, yeah
I want coffee sweet in the mo'nin
An I"m crazy 'bout my tea at nightI want
Don't get my sugar three time a day
Great Lord, I don't feel right

Now, you been braggin' 'bout your whiskey
Now-now, you been braggin' all ov'r town
You been braggin' 'bout your whiskey
You been braggin', sweet mama, all ov'r town
The bootlegger won't sell enough sugar
To make whiskey
Don't even sell ya but about four or five pounds

Now, sugar mama, sugar mama
Would you please come back to me?
(soon)
Sugar mama, sugar mama
Please come on back to me?
Bring me that grad'ulated sugar
That all it take to ease my misery

Now, sugar mama, sugar mama
You know you been gone all day long
Now, sugar mama, sugar mama
You know you been gone all day long
You been doin' somethin' wit' my sugar
Ooo, Lord and I know it's wrong

Now, sugar mama, sugar mama
Now would you please come on back to me?
Umm-mmm
Please come on back to me
You know, I don't like nothin' but my sugar
And that should take to ease my misery.



(c) Lightnin Hopkins (1948) (as "Sugar Mama")
Lightnin Hopkins: voc, guitar
Recorded in Houston, February 25, 1948
Released on Aladdin 3015


Listen here:





(c) Johnny Williams (=John Lee Hooker) (1952) (as "Bumble Bee Blues")
John Lee Hooker, gtr
Vernon "Boogie Woogie Red" Harrison,pno;
Curtis Foster,dms
Recorded circa 1951
Released 1952 on the B-side of Staff 713



This is John Lee Hooker's "dirty" version




(c) John Lee Hooker (1952) (as "Sugar Mama")
Chess session, Chicago or Detroit April 24, 1952
Released on Chess 1513


This is John Lee Hooker's "clean" version.




(c) LIL' SON JACKSON (1955) (as "Sugar Mama")
Recorded January 1955 in Dallas, Tx.; Melvin Jackson, voc, g
Released on Imperial 5339

Listen here:




(c) Lighnin' Slim (1955) (as "Sugar Plum")


Listen here:




(c) B.B. King (1959) (as "Sugar Mama")
B.B. King (v,g), Kenny Sands, Henry Boozier (tp), Lawrence Burdine, Johnny Board, Barry Hubert (s), Millard Lee (p), Marshall York (b), Ted Curry (d)
Recorded 1959 - Los Angeles CA
Released on the B-side of Kent K 329


Listen here:




(c) Big Joe Williams (1961) (as "Sugar Babe")
Recorded October 7, 1961 in New York
Big Joe Williams: voc, gtr
Larry Johnson: hca
Willie Dixon: b
Released in 1965 on the album "Studio Blues" (Prestige/Bluesville BV 1083)



Listen here:




(c) Howlin Wolf (1964) (as "Sugar Mama")
Recorded July 26, 1963. Live in Chicago at the Copa Cabana Club.
Howlin' Wolf, v, hca; Jarrett Gibson, Donald Hankins, saxes; Otis Spann, p; Buddy Guy, g; Jack Meyers, b; Fred Below, d.
Released 1964 on the album "Folk Festival of the Blues" (ARGO 4031)

Listen here:




(c) Howlin Wolf (1964) (as "My Country Sugar Mama")
Recorded August 1964 in Chicago, IL;
Howlin' Wolf, voc, # hca; Arnold Rogers, ts; sax; Johnny Jones, p; Hubert Sumlin, g; Andrew Palmer, b; Junior Blackmon, dr
Released on Chess 1911



Listen here:





(c) John Hammond (1968) (as "Sugar Mama")
Recorded January 30, 1968
Released on the album "Sooner or later" (Atlantic SD 8206)


Listen here:





Led Zeppelin recorded "Sugar Mama" (or "Sugar Mama (Mix)" as listed on the album release) during early recording sessions. The song is credited to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, although biographer Nigel Williamson identifies it as "a cover of the Sonny Boy Williamson song".
Except for bootlegs, it remained unreleased until 2015, when it was included on the reissued version (deluxe and super deluxe) of the album Coda.

(c) Led Zeppelin (1968) (as "Sugar Mama")
Recorded October 1968.
Released on the reissued version (deluxe and super deluxe) of the album Coda


Listen here:



Lyrics:

Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama,
Where you been?
Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama,
Where you been?
Sugar mama, sugar mama

Say you love me sugar mama
I'll never let you go

Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama,
Love you babe
Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama,
Drive me insane
Sugar mama gonna love you all I can

Say you love me sugar mama
I'll never let you go

Say you love me sugar mama
I'll never let you go



(c) Southern Comfort (1968) (as "Sugar Mama")
Big Walter "Shakey" Horton (Harmonica), Martin Stone (Guitar), Jerome Arnold (bass), Jessie C. Lewis (Drums)
Recorded London, October 1968
Released on the album “Southern Comfort”


Listen here:





(c) Cuby & the Blizzards (1968) (as "Sugar Mama")
Live at the Rheinhalle, Dusseldorf, november 1968
Released on the album "Cuby + Blizzards Live" (Philips PY 844 087)


Listen here:




(c) Taste (1969) (as "Sugar Mama")
Rory Gallagher: Guitars, Vocals, Saxophone, Harmonica
Richard "Charlie" McCracken: Bass Guitar
John Wilson: Drums
Released April 1969 on the first album of Rory Gallagher's Taste on the Polydor-label (Polydor 583 042)


Listen here:





(c) Fleetwood Mac (1969) (as "Sugar Mama")
Peter Green (Vocal), Peter Green (Guitar), Danny Kirwan (Guitar), John McVie (Bass), Mick Fleetwood (Drums), Otis Spann (Piano)
Recorded at Chess Ter-Mar Studios, Chicago, January 4, 1969
Released December 5, 1969 on album "Blues Jam At Chess" (Blue Horizon 7-6627)






(c) Doctor Ross The Harmonica Boss with Tony Valla & The Alamos (1970) (as "Sugar Mama")
Recorded: - Unknown Date(s) 1965/1970
Released in 1970 on  Fortune Records (S) 45rpm Fortune 538 mono



Listen here:





More versions here:





In 1962 label-boss Bobby Robinson wrote an arrangement of "Sugar Mama".
This arrangement "Sugar Babe" was recorded by Buster Brown and released on Robinson's own Fire-label.


Listen here:





This Robinson-arrangement was covered in 1962 by Jimmy Powell


Listen here:







Finally: I began this post with 3 versions of "Bumble Bee (Blues).
I will end with a few cover-versions at the end of this post.
Listen carefully: or you'll be stung !!!

Big Mama Thornton copied Memphis Minnie's 1930 version of "Bumble Bee"

(c) Big Mama Thornton (1966) (as "Bumble Bee")
recorded April 25, 1966 at Coast Recorders in San Francisco, CA.
with the Muddy Waters Blues Band ;
Muddy Waters - guitar; Otis Spann - Piano; James Cotton - harmonica; Sammy Lawhorn - guitar; Luther Johnson - bass; Francis Clay - drums


Listen here:




(c) Papa John Creach (1992) (as "Bumble Bee")


Listen here:



(c) Corey Harris (1997) (as "Bumble Bee Blues")

Listen here:





More versions here:



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten